Saturday, October 19, 2013

How many CEOs does it take to Change a Light Bulb?

It had been a hard week, but the weekend had finally arrived. My wife had taken care of everything for me, just so I could relax. (I don’t mean to make anyone jealous, but my wife is awesome!) I was lounging around when I thought, “I’m finally going to fix that light that’s been bugging me.” (It doesn’t hang quite right.)

I got up from the chair grabbed my toolbox and turned into “Handy Man”.
(I have no particular super powers, but I do have a couple of tools and a really sweet hammer.) I’m capable of fixing anything. My awesome wife looked at me and smiled. She suggested we call a professional. “I am a professional!” I said, “I can do anything.”


An hour (and a couple of choice words) later my wife was still smiling – I wasn’t. “It’s not my fault.” I said, “The bracket keeps slipping and the screw has some kind of weird head that none of my screwdrivers seem to fit.” That’s OK. I’m creative. I can think of something.

So, the project was finished and I was feeling pretty proud of myself as I watched the Drywaller patch the ceiling. True, I wasted the weekend, but I’d made it work. By this time my wife had stopped smiling. It’s possible she had something different in mind for our weekend.


********************************************************


THE BOTTOM LINE:

Principal 1: What appears to be incredibly simple can become a nightmare without the proper tools.


Principal 2: Just because you can do something, doesn’t mean you should.


Principal 3: Time is valuable. Use it wisely. It may save you money in the long run.