Friday, March 14, 2014

What Happened to Personal Interaction?

It seems that we all want to be connected, but no one wants to interact. Trying to talk to an actual person when you need help often becomes more frustrating than the problem you were calling about. And chances are that when you finally reach someone you can’t understand them or they don’t have any authority to take care of you. Don’t get me wrong, technology and automation have their place, but I fear that our concept of customer service has shifted to the mindset of “it’s not my problem”.

Last week I was checking my mail and I noticed some official looking envelope. I opened it and stared at it for a while. I received a fine for running a red light and I wanted desperately to plead my case. If I stopped, it could have been dangerous. I could have been in an accident just trying to slow down. It was safest for me to run the light. Does anyone believe me? Probably not, but I still wanted to defend myself, I wasn’t even sure if the light was really red. I turned the page over to see if there was a number I could call. Then it occurred to me that even if there was a phone number for me to call, the likelihood of me getting an actual person was slim.

After turning the page I quickly realized I had no case. I stared at a picture of myself looking up at the light. (I looked guilty.) The next picture was of my license plate and below that was my recorded speed. (It was over the speed limit.) My only option was to pay the fine.

I needed to make my case to someone, so I showed a number of people my awesome new photo. It's true, there is something comforting about personal interaction.


*******************************************************

THE BOTTOM LINE:

Principal 1: Technology has the potential to greatly enhance your business process, but people still buy your product. Don’t forget about people.

Principal 2: Business is still built on relationships. In a world focused on technology, personal interaction could help differentiate you from the competition.

Principal 3: People want to be heard. Businesses want feedback. Let’s talk.