Friday, March 28, 2014

One Foot, Then the Other

Lately I’ve been inspired to work out. I’ve become a little softer than I would like to be and I’m getting older, but I am not ready to slow down quite yet. Whenever I get inspired, I get after it. The problem is somehow I still think I am able to do what I could do in my twenties.

Even though I know I should, I don’t really stretch before I work out – it hurts. I want to go jogging, because I know that jogging usually gets me results quickly. But I live in Colorado and there isn’t quite enough oxygen available unless you are in shape. So, it’s not too hard to convince myself that I should ride the stationary bike first and get in shape before I start jogging.

I eat a healthy breakfast and I’m fine for a while. I know that during the day I should drink a glass of water, but when I get to work I typically go for a cup of coffee. By the time dinner comes around I’m starving. (Yes, I ate lunch.) Moderation just doesn’t seem like a good idea, or I might not survive the night. The next day, the process starts all over again.

After a little while, it’s clear there are really only two options.

Option 1: Quit screwing around and do things right.
Option 2: Give up.

Getting in shape hurts at first, then it begins to feel great. You have to have the will to push yourself if you want to improve. In theory jogging is easy, just put one foot in front of the other. Nike had it right, “Just do it!”


*******************************************************

THE BOTTOM LINE:

Principal 1: You will lose what once made your business great if you focus on what you were able to accomplish in the past. Business is about the present.

Principal 2: Poor business practices are like bad habits – they are hard to break. It may hurt at first. Keep working, it will get results.

Principal 3: For sustained business success there is no quick fix or silver bullet. Take it one step at a time, but keep moving forward.